Suzanne is a regular guest speaker and panelist at disaster gatherings across the globe, having spoken at 120+ conferences over the past ten years alone.
Over the past ten years alone, Suzanne has spoken at more than 100 conferences a
Some of Suzanne's most sought-after topics include:
It CAN Happen Here - Preparing for An Active Shooter Attack
Terror in the Workplace - Survivor Case Studies & Lessons Learned
The New Era of Crisis Communications - From Terrorism to Twitter and Beyond
The Invisible Threat - Planning for Infectious Diseases
The New Era of Emergency Management - Case Studies and Lessons Learned
Heroes, Helpers, and Hope - Disaster Heroes by Suzanne Bernier
Measles, Ebola and MERS, Oh My! Planning for Infectious disease outbreaks & epidemics
...and many more (see here for upcoming and previous speaking engagements)
She also speaks to schools, organizations and companies on a variety of topics, including how to be a hero to others and in your own life.
From students to banking executives to first responders, Suzanne prides herself on her ability to communicate clearly and effectively to audiences at all levels and from all industries. She is a down-to-earth communicator who likes to engage her audiences with entertaining, dynamic and thought-provoking presentations.
The personal stories and anecdotes she shares with her audiences, whether it be during her relief efforts following Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Sandy, the San Bernardino or Brussels, Belgium terror attacks, or while researching and interviewing the many 'hidden heroes' featured in her newly-released book, Disaster Heroes, have been called “inspirational" by many.
Speaking/presentation services include:
Conference breakout sessions
Lunch and Learn sessions
"Lots of great examples and what worked well for those situations - also where companies missed opportunities. Lots of good take-away suggestions to consider."
"Great experience and examples."
"Very interesting and valuable to our BC program."
"Superb." - Comments from attendees of the Disaster Recovery Information Exchange (DRIE) Southwestern Ontario Chapter, June 2019
"Suzanne, I didn't get to come over at IAEM and introduce myself, but I did want to send you a message and tell you how absolutely inspiring your presentation was!!!
THANK YOU for bringing light to a dark industry - I struggle with finding the good in what I do, especially as Private Sector and typically being labeled as a Blue Light Chaser. Not only EM but the World needs more HELPERS." - Attendee of the 2019 International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM) Canada Conference in Calgary, Canada
"You were an exciting and inspiring speaker! Thank you for your positive energy! Je vous remercie!"
"Your visit and words are still bringing inspiration to our entire student body! Thank you for making them feel 'worthy'! You rock!"
"It is always a fabulous uplifting time with you on campus! I am able to build on your wisdom in class each year!"
"It is a huge event when you come! The kids are still talking about it! We thank you so very much for the infusion of positive energy that you bring to our campus."
"Thank you so much for your time, passion, and wisdom. Your visits and generosity towards the JSC students will have long-ranging effects to make the world a more positive place." - Comments from the faculty of Jefferson Street Campus, Neosho, Missouri, May 2019
"Suzanne was great. Her sense of humor and knowledge of content, plus presentation skills, was so refreshing."
"Suzanne was awesome. Very passionate about the topic and knowledgeable. Voice quality was excellent."
"Excellent - one of the best of the Conference!"
"Excellent talk - Suzanne is amazing."
"Best Presenter yet."
"Excellent. Great info and content. Amazing presentation."
"Absolutely repeat this session." - Comments from attendees of the 2016 Continuity Insights Management Conference in Nashville, TN
“On behalf of MCNY and IAEMSA, I would like to officially thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to present on a very relevant and serious topic. Your presentation was very informative and captivated those who attended; this has been evidenced by the positive feedback I have received from students and professors.
The fact that you are always on the go and always traveling to various destinations around the world, and still managed to make time to educate and inform students at MCNY, is a testament to your commitment to spreading the word about lessons learned from Canada. Further, it is shows that you are committed to growing the field of emergency and disaster management.”
Obiano Huntley, IAEMSA President, Metropolitan College of New York
“On Monday 30th September (2013), New South Wales State Emergency Services staff and volunteers attended an informative and entertaining talk on social media in emergencies presented by Canadian expert Suzanne Bernier.
Suzanne had already presented at the social media in disaster management conference in Sydney, Australia, and kindly offered her time to put on a social media presentation specifically for the NSW SES on her experience with the use of social media in disasters. SES volunteers, staff and guests attended the presentation – with some travelling from as far as Wollongong to make the most of this very special opportunity.
With her approachability, funny manner and background in government and volunteering, she had the ability to relate to everyone that attended.” - New South Wales Australian Institute of Emergency Services “News and Views” article, October 2013
- Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association Conference, Feb. 2-5, 2020, Regina, SK
- TC Energy Emergency Management Conference, Feb. 25-26, 2020, Calgary, AB
- Volunteer Florida Emergency Management Convening, March 3-4, 2020, Orlando, FL
- Alberta Industrial Fire & Emergency Management Association (AIFEMA) Conference, March 11-12, 2020, Edmonton, AB
- Hero Round Table NYC, April 3-4, 2020, New York, NY
- Continuity Insights Management Conference, April 20-22, 2020, San Antonio, TX
- Hero Round Table Yarram, May 2-3, 2020, Victoria, Australia
- Disaster Heroes Award Ceremony, May 8, 2020, Neosho, MO
- Ontario Recreation Facilities Association (ORCA) Conference, June 8-10, 2020, Toronto, CA
- Safeopedia Virtual Health & Safety Conference, Oct. 20-21, 2020
More confirmed 2019 and 2020 presentations to come. Check back often!
- Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association Conference, Feb. 2-5, 2020, Regina, SK
- California Emergency Services Association (CESA) Conference, Oct. 22, 2019, Sonoma, CA
- Hero Round Table Michigan, Oct. 28-29, 2019, Hartland, MI
- HammerForge 2019 virtual summit, May 7, 2019 (online)
- Alertus Virtual EM Symposium, December 13, 2018 (online)
- Focus on Healthcare Security Conference, Dec. 4, 2018, Mississauga, ON
-Hero Round Table Michigan, Oct. 22-23, 2018, Livingston County, MI
- York University DEMSA, March 12, 2018, Toronto, Canada
- Women in Disaster Recovery Network - National/NYC Chapter, Feb. 28, 2018, New York, NY
- Great Kindness Challenge, Jan. 22-23, 2018, San Bernardino, CA
- Ontario Association of Emergency Managers (OAEM) Seminar, January 25, 2018, Toronto, ON
- Hero Round Table Michigan, Oct. 23-24, 2017, Brighton, MI
- SAIT Alertus Emergency Preparedness Seminar, Oct. 13, 2017, Calgary, AB
- Footprints for Learning school presentation, Oct. 12, 2017, Airdrie, AB
- Disaster Recovery Information Exchange (DRIE) Toronto Symposium, Oct. 3, 2017, Toronto ON
- BCE New York City Chapter meeting, Sep. 13, 2017, New York, NY
- Safe and Ready Virtual Summit, Sep. 12-14, 2017
- 'Preparing for an Active Intruder Attack' webinar (in partnership with Regroup), July 31, 2017
- 'The New Era of Crisis Communications' webinar (in partnership with ICOR), July 25, 2017
- Ontario Association of College and University Security Administrators (OACUSA) Conference,
May 23-25, 2017, Toronto, ON
- District 6 Emergency Management Symposium, May 18, 2017, Muncie, IN
- Hero Round Table London, May 12-13, 2017, London, England
- Emergency Preparedness Week at Collins Bay Institution, May 4, 2017, Kingston, ON
- Ranch Readiness Day, April 30, 2017, Sonoma County Fairgrounds, Santa Rosa, CA
- Canadian Critical Incident Stress Congress, April 25, 2017, Niagara Falls, ON
- Emergency Preparedness Seminar at University of Saskatchewan, March 10, 2017, Saskatoon, SK
- University of Chicago Graham School, March 14, 2017 (webinar on The New Era of Emergency Management)
- Artists Without Walls (AWoW) Showcase at The Cell Theatre, Jan. 24, 2017, New York, NY
- Midwest Contingency Planners - Cybersecurity Series, Dec. 13, 2016, Indianapolis, IN
- Contingency Planning Exchange (CPE) New York Quarterly Event, Dec. 9, 2016, New York, NY
- Alberta Emergency Management Agency (AEMA) Stakeholder Summit, Nov. 21-22, 2016, Edmonton, AB
- Saskatchewan Emergency Planners Association (SEPA) Conference, Nov. 1-3, 2016, Saskatoon SK
- ISSA/INTERCLEAN North America 2016 Conference, Oct. 26, 2016, Chicago, IL
- Hero Round Table Michigan, Oct. 24-25, 2016, Brighton, MI
- DRI Collegiate Conference, Oct. 21, 2016, Toronto ON
- Indiana Employer Symposium, Oct. 19, 2016, Indianapolis, IN
- 2016 International Practice Management Association (IPMA) Conference, Oct. 13-15, 2016, Toronto ON
- Business Resumption Planners Association (BRPA) Educational Event, Oct. 11, 2016, Chicago, IL
- #EMForum 2016, Sep. 20, 2016, Orangeville, ON
- 2016 South Central PA Business Continuity and Emergency Preparedness Conference, Sep. 29, 2016,
- 2016 FEMA Individual and Community Preparedness Awards, Sept. 13, 2016, The White House, Washington, DC
- World Conference on Disaster Management, June 6-8, 2016, Toronto, Canada
- Simcoe Area Security Group, June 13, 2016, Toronto, Canada
- Geater Sudbury Chamber of Commerce 'Breakfast with Champions', June 24, 2016
- Cambrian College, March 23, 2016, Sudbury ON
International Hero Round Table, April 2-3, 2016, Nijmegen, Gelderland, Netherlands
- 2016 Midwest Emergency Preparedness and Response Conference, April 12-13, 2016, Rockford, IL
- 2016 Continuity Insights Management Conference, April 18-20, 2016, Nashville, TN
- Disaster Recovery Information Exchange (DRIE) Southwestern Ontario Symposium, May 9, 2016, Kitchener, ON
- Ontario Association of Emergency Managers (OAEM) Conference and AGM, May 12, 2016, Burlington, ON
- Association of Contingency Planners (ACP) Garden State Chapter webinar on infectious diseases, Feb. 26, 2016
- National Tornado Summit, March 1, 2016, Oklahoma City, OK
- The International Disaster Conference and Expo (IDCE), March 1-3, 2016, New Orleans, LA
- DRI2016 Conference, March 6-9, 2016, Atlanta, GA
- Association of Contingency Planners (ACP) NYC Metro Chapter, Nov. 19, 2015, New York, NY
- 2015 Saskatchewan Emergency Planners Association (SEPA) Conference, Nov. 3-5, 2015, Saskatoon, Canada
- Ontario Fire College, Oct. 27-28, 2015, Gravenhurst, ON
- 2015 Continuity Insights New York (CINY), Oct. 20-21, New York, NY
- University of North Alabama, Oct. 13-15, 2015, Florence, Alabama
- Conference Board of Canada's Council on Emergency Management, Oct. 7, 2015, Toronto, ON
- Book signing at Recycled Reads, Oct. 3, 2015, Costa Mesa, CA
- 2015 ASIS International Conference and Expo, Sep. 28-Oct. 1, 2015, Anaheim, CA
- The International Hero Roundtable, Sep. 18-19, 2015, Brighton, MI
- Midwest Contingency Planners quarterly meeting, Sep. 8, 2015, Indianapolis, IN
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners Catastrophe Response Working Group, Aug. 17, 2015, Chicago, IL
- Toronto book reading and signing, with special guest appearance by Riccardo Crespo, Aug. 12, 2015, The Kensington Lodge, Toronto, Canada
- Guest Lecturer, Toyo University, July 8, 2015, Tokyo, Japan
- Guest Lecturer, Rutgers School of Business, June 25, 2015, New Brunswick, NJ
- Disaster Heroes Official Canadian book launch and signing, June 10, Toronto, CA
- Provincial Emergency Management Coordinators Committee (PEMCC), Nov. 26, Toronto ON
- Focus on Commercial Security Conference, Oct. 15, Toronto ON
- Satellite Conference and Live Webcast in conjunction with the Alabama Dept. of Public Health: “The Human Side of Disasters” – June 18, 2014
- 2014 Continuity Insights Management Conference (CIMC), Apr. 28-30, New Orleans, LA
- 2014 Partners in Emergency Preparedness Conference, Apr. 22-24, Tacoma, WA
- 2014 Manitoba Disaster Management Conference, March 12-14, Winnipeg, MA
- 2014 Canadian Society of Safety Engineering (CSSE) Education Day, Feb. 11, Toronto CA
- 2014 International Disaster Conference & Expo (IDCE), Jan. 7-10, New Orleans, LA
- 2013 Emergency Preparedness and Business Continuity Conference, Vancouver, BC
- 2013 International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM) Conference, Reno, NV
- Australia Water Services Sector Group (AWSSG) Social Media Conference, Sept. 25, 2013, Sydney, Australia
- 2013 American Red Cross Disaster Preparedness Summit, Chicago, IL
- 2013 World Conference on Disaster Management (WCDM), Toronto CA
- 2013 Continuity Insights Management Conference (CIMC), San Diego, CA
- 2013 Risk & Insurance Management Society Professional Day, Newfoundland and Labrador Chapter, St. John’s, NL
- Allstream EMT Summit, February 2013, Toronto ON
- 2013 International Disaster Conference and Expo (IDCE), New Orleans, LA
- 2012 Disaster Recovery Information Exchange (DRIE) Toronto Chapter Symposium, Toronto ON
- 2012 and 2008 International Disaster and Risk Conferences, Davos, Switzerland
- 2012 World Conference on Disaster Management, Toronto, Canada
- 2012 Continuity Insights Management Conference, Talking Stick Resort, Scottsdale, AZ
- 2011 International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM) Conference, Las Vegas, NV
- 2011 Greater Toronto Area Contact Centers (GTACC) Conference, Toronto ON
- 2011 and 2009 World Conferences on Disaster Management (WCDM), Toronto ON
- 2011, 2010, 2008 and 2007 Continuity Insights Management Conferences (multiple US locations)
- 2011 Conference on Emergency Preparedness and Service Restoration for Utilities (Memphis, TN)
- 2010 and 2009 Provincial Emergency Management Conferences (Ontario, Canada)
- 2010 Critical Infrastructure Assurance Program Conference (Toronto, Canada)
- 2010 and 2008 Contingency Planning Association of the Carolinas (CPAC) Symposiums (Charlotte, NC)
- 2010 Contingency Planning & Management (CPM) West Conference, Las Vegas, NV
2009 and prior:
- 2009 and 2008 Northwestern Ontario Conferences on Disaster Management (Ontario, Canada)
- 2008 Contingency Planning & Management (CPM) East Conference (Orlando, FL)
- 2008 and 2007 Forum North Health & Safety Conferences (Dryden, Ontario)
- 2007 Ontario Chamber of Commerce Conference (Hamilton, Ontario)